Saturday, April 13, 2013

Understanding

I hate using my growing belly as an excuse, but more often than not, I am telling Alekzander I cannot easily/comfortably {feasibly} sit on the floor and play for long periods of time, or drive trucks on the driveway because my belly gets in the way.  I often say, "Remember, Mommy can't run fast right now..." I wish I could, and I hope he doesn't resent me for my lack of hard play, but I think he gets it, and is developing empathy in the most amazing 3 year old way!

He and Daddy are having a camp out tonight in the backyard.  Unprompted, he told Daddy that I could not join their sleepover because I had to sleep in the house so me and the baby could be "comfy".  I did lay with them for a while to read books, look at stars, and listen to excited chatter, but eventually told Alekzander that I was going to have to go inside in a few minutes.  He said "Go now, Mommy!"  I guess I wasn't needed or wanted ... but he did initially have my {and baby's} well-being in mind.

I don't know how much he understands about the reality of his world changing in 3-ish short/fast months, but he has given me much confidence about the transition.  The other day when I was cleaning his room, I asked him if he wanted to pick out some books that the baby could have.  To my surprise, he wanted to clear out an entire shelf of baby board books.  He told me he didn't need them anymore because he likes reading big boy books because he is a big boy.  I was a little sad to realize that he has outgrown all of his Sandra Boynton books, but I love his willingness to share!

Alekzander constantly tries to figure out and process everything.  We have had multiple discussions about how the baby gets food...  at first he was afraid that I would get the baby messy whenever I ate, but now he will tell you that the baby eats my food through a rope {umbilical cord}!  He knows where the baby will live and tries to figure out how the baby will fit into our lives.  On a walk the other day, he was talking about going on a walk with Syra after the baby came.  He assigned me to push his blue stroller and Daddy to walk Syra {the opposite of our current roles} and allocated the baby to stay home.  He stopped himself and said, "Silly Alekzander.  The baby can't stay home alone."  Luckily we already have a double-stroller, so the whole family will be able to walk together ... and no one will get left behind!

Precious boy is obsessed with my belly...  he has to say good morning and good night to it every day!  It is so sweet.  I cannot wait to see him as a big brother when the baby actually gets here.  Already he takes his role seriously.   We were talking about having to buy pacis for the baby and I told Alekzander that he could be the 'Paci Hunter' and rescue dropped pacis from under the crib and wash them.  He was willing to do the job, but got hung up on the logistics.  "But Mommy, I can't reach the sink to wash the pacis..."  I promised him that we would get him another stool for the upstairs bathroom so that he could help like a big brother.  {Thanks to Mia, my promise has been fulfilled, and Alekzander will be able to do his job.}

I so love watching his understanding increase - as well as his heart get bigger and bigger {and full of Jesus' love} - as my belly grows at a seemingly exponential rate!

No comments: