Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Dog Gone

When I was little, I left my favorite, prized stuffed animal, Pooh Bear, at my Grandpap's house in Pennsylvania.  This was long before the days of car phones, cell phones, or guaranteed next day delivery services.  Knowing the turmoil that would ensue from discovering the loss of my favorite toy, my Grandpap got in his car and drove at speeds over 90 MPH down the Pennsylvania Turnpike to catch up with our family's red 1972 Ford 500, flag us down, and return my beloved friend. I can imagine his proud, sheepish grin of being the hero who saved the day.

Flash forward 30 years...

A sunshine-filled 4-mile walk with Aunt Tessa Bug; a stroller loaded with snacks, water, toys, and the occasional big brother taking a break from 'scooter-ing;' a date filled with content boys and sisterly conversations. Anderson either zoned out or pigged out in his comfy seat, but there were a few times when a book or a cup was ejected from the stroller; luckily we heard or saw it happen and scooped it up mid-stride. After about an hour and a half, we made it back to the car after walking, stick collecting, and lessons about blind spots, and got home and got busy making dinner.  Randomly Anderson mentioned "Dog Go," but I didn't think much about it until we got back in the car a few hours later and I could not find his dog.  I knew it must have been lost somewhere along the walk and started to panic; it was already dark, and even running, I knew I couldn't/shouldn't cover the distance by myself. Andrew armed me with a cell phone and flashlight and planned to meet me a 1/4 mile down the greenway with the car.  We extended our meet-up point by another 1/4 mile and there, illuminated by our headlights, was "Dog Go" - sitting patiently and properly on a bench, waiting to be found.  The dog was not gone! 
An anonymous 'hero' had found him and propped him up - making our rescue mission successful!  Within five minutes of reuniting Anderson with his pup, Anderson was snoozing peacefully in his car sear with his treasured friend.  So thankful for a happy ending, fresh air adventures ... and guardian angels of beloved stuffed animals!

No comments: