This past weekend we had another class at the hospital to help us prepare for the coming of the baby. The class topic… boobs. Ok so it was actually breastfeeding.
Telling friends about the class beforehand produced mixed feedback from guys depending on if they had children or not. From those without, I would get comments about how ‘cool’ it was that my wife wanted me to go to a class with her to look at ‘boobs’ for hours. Those with kids would joke that no matter how hard I try they’re pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to produce milk so I shouldn’t have to go. I have to admit that I had no clue what would happen or what exactly would be covered, but I knew Ashley wanted me there, so I was definitely going to be there for support. This being said, I never could have expected the horror about to ensue. I can only imagine the thoughts running through your head as you read this… has anyone ever done figure drawing? You’re sitting there with your class and someone comes out in a robe and … well… you know. Well that definitely didn’t happen but a ‘live demo’ probably would have been better than what we were exposed to.
‘Lacticia’ the demonstration baby doll. I’ll put a picture of ‘it’ below but wanted to warn you here to look away if you didn’t want to see it. Yes I’m being more than a little dramatic/silly about it but this doll really was freaky yet very funny at the same time. The woman instructing the class warned about the (f)ugliness of the doll before bringing it out, but it really only primed the pump for the laughter that was about to ensue. She said her husband has nightmares about the doll and he took a picture of it and put it on the back of the family Christmas letter as a joke a few years back. She explained that Lacticia may be ugly but she works well for the class since she is easier to pose for demonstration purposes. The picture will speak for itself yet hardly do it justice. She has 1 ear, hip dysplasia, a strange/odd face with her tongue hanging out. The fake fabric breast that accompanied Lacticia completed the cycle of weird.

We did get some good information and truly I was there in support of Ashley and to have another set of ears/eyes listening/learning so that we both may know what is ‘supposed’ to happen (or not happen). One thing is for sure, the ability to add laughter to just about any experience is sure to help us on our journey into and through parenthood.
Telling friends about the class beforehand produced mixed feedback from guys depending on if they had children or not. From those without, I would get comments about how ‘cool’ it was that my wife wanted me to go to a class with her to look at ‘boobs’ for hours. Those with kids would joke that no matter how hard I try they’re pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to produce milk so I shouldn’t have to go. I have to admit that I had no clue what would happen or what exactly would be covered, but I knew Ashley wanted me there, so I was definitely going to be there for support. This being said, I never could have expected the horror about to ensue. I can only imagine the thoughts running through your head as you read this… has anyone ever done figure drawing? You’re sitting there with your class and someone comes out in a robe and … well… you know. Well that definitely didn’t happen but a ‘live demo’ probably would have been better than what we were exposed to.
‘Lacticia’ the demonstration baby doll. I’ll put a picture of ‘it’ below but wanted to warn you here to look away if you didn’t want to see it. Yes I’m being more than a little dramatic/silly about it but this doll really was freaky yet very funny at the same time. The woman instructing the class warned about the (f)ugliness of the doll before bringing it out, but it really only primed the pump for the laughter that was about to ensue. She said her husband has nightmares about the doll and he took a picture of it and put it on the back of the family Christmas letter as a joke a few years back. She explained that Lacticia may be ugly but she works well for the class since she is easier to pose for demonstration purposes. The picture will speak for itself yet hardly do it justice. She has 1 ear, hip dysplasia, a strange/odd face with her tongue hanging out. The fake fabric breast that accompanied Lacticia completed the cycle of weird.

We did get some good information and truly I was there in support of Ashley and to have another set of ears/eyes listening/learning so that we both may know what is ‘supposed’ to happen (or not happen). One thing is for sure, the ability to add laughter to just about any experience is sure to help us on our journey into and through parenthood.
No comments:
Post a Comment