Friday, December 4, 2009

Normal? or Extraordinary?!

This past week has been exhausting but incredible as I begin to adjust to motherhood. We have a healthy, big, strong baby boy on our hands who amazes us every day.


During our very surreal hospital stay, and my extremely scary c-section, I was an open book about my physical pain. I decided everyone in the room constantly needed a play by play description about what I was feeling, especially during surgery. The nurses and doctors kept telling me everything was normal, but they knew my acute awareness of everything was causing me to panic. To me, the sensations were not normal, but I was thankful that I had a team of professionals - and a calm husband by my side. When I finally heard Alekzander's vigorous cry, I was able to relax a little because I knew that he was here and well.

Since then, the focus has been less on me and more on him. Analyzing every cry, startle reflex, breathing pattern... I'm constantly wondering if his behaviors are "normal." Every doctor, nurse, and lactation consultant has assured me that my baby is healthy and normal. The other night while watching Alekzander feed, I realized that I didn't have a normal baby; I have an extraordinary baby. Of course I am biased, but he is nothing short of amazing. He is strong and alert, and absolutely precious.



We had our first 'away-from-home' adventures of parenthood...which left us all a little tired and a little frazzled at times. On Tuesday, we took him to the pediatrician for his first visit. The doctor reminds me of Santa - a very wise and well educated Santa! Our appointment fell during Alekzander's feeding time, so we had a mad little hungry guy on our hands for a while. But he was a perfect patient and didn't even cry when they weighed and measured him. Fully stretched out, Alekzander is 21 inches long (not 20 in. as they 'estimated' when he was born) and weighs 8 pounds and 6 ounces.

Yesterday we tried to time a trip to Target during a nap time, but Alekzander didn't really like Target. He screamed throughout half the store and only stopped when his stroller wheels hit the carpet in the baby section. What a smart little boy! :)



Bath time also proved to be a little stressful yesterday, but all of our excitement made for a good night's rest! We're surviving...and are absolutely smitten!

No comments: