Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Babushka


Some words from my childhood, like hallupkes (ha-loop-keys) and babushka (ba-boosh-kah). sound like they were made up.  And my parents were just silly enough to make things up, like crocodiles living under the restaurant tables (to keep us from getting up) and feeding my friends chicken lips (just regular chicken tenders with ketchup...although I thought chickens had lips for the longest time).  However, hallupkes and babushka are real words and reflective of our Polish/Ukrainian ancestry.  And both words were represented and celebrated this Christmas.  

Hallupkes (stuffed cabbage rolls) are a Markovitch staple especially at Christmas time.  While ATB requests homemade pizza (also a Markovitch celebratory/holiday staple), my request is always hallupkes even when I was supposedly a vegetarian!  Gruffalo didn't disappoint this year.  He had his biggest stock pot filled with hallupkes simmering on the stove when we arrived on Saturday afternoon.

We were often called babushka babies whenever we had a blanket on our head...which I guess was a lot.  This year for Christmas, Mia made her version of knit babushkas/head-neck warmers.  Gruffalo modeled his and Alekzander and I joined in on the fun.  



No comments: