I've always loved being a student. Receiving a syllabus always overwhelmed me, but looking back at the enumerated and weighted requirements at the end of the semester left me feeling proud and accomplished. Motherhood does not come with a syllabus, nor is there a set curriculum that lays out objectives or skills to master. It is, however, a hands-on learning experience with its rewards and heartbreaks and Alekzander is, without a doubt, my favorite teacher.
Today's lessons included:
Play first, work later. I was trying to sweep the floor while Alekzander was running circles around me. He is obsessed with the broom and ended up with my cleaning tool even though I provided him with his own. I eventually managed to distract/trick my ridiculously smart/quick one-year old so that I could hide the broom (and avoid a cry-fest). Work time was cut short, and playtime, giggles, and raspberries ensued. (The floors were eventually swept and sanitized two-hours later during Alekzander's nap time.)
Soak in nature. We went to visit the "duck-ducks" at the pond. Alekzander gets so excited when he sees a duck-couple swimming toward him; he points with his cute bowed index finger and shouts, "Duck-Duck! Duck-Duck!". We counted five ducks as we went around the pond and pointed out a turtle sunning itself on a log. I thought we had found/seen all the ducks and wasn't even looking anymore, but Super Baby had his "duck radar" on and starting pointing and squealing as he saw two more. For the rest of the walk, he squawked and chatted with the birds and laughed at the squirrels running through yards. His one-year old sense of wonder reminded me to "Stop and smell the flowers" which we did ... we also stopped to sniff the basil, the lettuce, and the tomato plant that he bought with his Dada yesterday.
Read the Bible. Sweet, nosy boy found my Bible in my nightstand and handed it to me. I read a few passages out loud that I had marked in the past, including John 15:1-17. My note said, "Love your children this way." I don't know when I would have written this, nor the last time I read this verse, but it never hurts to be reminded to love others as intensely as God loves us. "I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love." (John 15:11-13)
1 comment:
Love Alekzander up to the moon and back again. It worked for me.
Post a Comment