Leaving Wal-Mart one day before school started, a woman and her friends/co-workers were unloading a cart. Nosy Alekzander asked "Why is that girl buying the little {plastic} wagon?" I told him it was probably for her classroom at school. One woman in the group who was wearing her teacher badge and CMS lanyard seemed surprised that I guessed this, but the cart was full of drawers for organizing, Clorox wipes, tissues, and other school supplies :: items that {at one point} made my heart ridiculously excited. I explained to her that I was a teacher too {by designation not practice currently}. The conversation could have been finished, but Alekzander said, "Yep, but you are a mommy now." I couldn't help but smile {having survived our first major outing alone with both boys} and said, "Yes, buddy, and this is my favorite job!"
On the way home, we talked about why Daddy worked :: to get money. Alekzander said "Buyer people {cashiers} could give you money." I explained that you have to do a job to make money ... people {unfortunately} don't just give it to you. He thought for a second and said, "I have money in my piggy bank. I can give you money for your jobs." Later in the day, he held up his promise and offered me money because I made cookies for him! And just the other day, I got a sticker because I was "good at feeding Anderson."
We've come back to this conversation a lot lately. I think he is pretty comfortable with the fact that every day is a "Mommy Day" ... sometimes we don't get out of our PJs until lunchtime and don't leave the house until after nap time. Other days, we spend the whole day away from home on exciting adventures or boring errands. Some days pass in 15 to 30 minute chunks measured by TV show after TV show while I sit and nurse for hours. But we are together. And I think his almost 4 year old heart appreciates that... and that makes my mommy heart soar. Being a mommy to these two little boys is by far the best and greatest calling in the world. And a silly trip to Wal-Mart confirmed that fact ... and a sweet boy with a big heart validates my job every day.

No comments:
Post a Comment