Monday, September 28, 2009

Rich in Laughter and Love at 32 Weeks

Here are some of my favorite parts of the weekend: watching a grandpa freak out after he saw me on the elevator at the hospital; he thought I was in labor (Andrew had bag full of our pillows and a blanket) and apologized for making us stop on the 7th floor instead of going up to the 8th floor at Presby Main... laughing through breathing exercises in childbirth class...bottling Alekzander's beer... "playing baby clothes" with Mom and Tessa.

After about 8 hours of childbirth preparation class, I guess Andrew and I are "ready" to have our baby. For me, knowledge is power - so even though I may not remember or use half of what I learned in class, I am glad that I know it now. We did leave the class with confidence in ourselves considering we could actually watch "the" videos without squirming in our seats or covering our eyes - which was better than the rest of the class! I did commit a major relaxation faux pas; during a breathing exercise with the lights off and music on, I started belly laughing uncontrollably. No reason at all, but my sense of humor has been heightened during pregnancy! I love it, but felt the need to apologize to the teacher after the class for being disruptive.


When we got home, we bottled Alekzander's Cranberry Wheat beer... though he won't be able to drink it for a long time, Andrew decided to brew a batch in celebration of Alekzander's nearing birth which should be close to Thanksgiving. Its hard to believe that in about 2 months, we'll be a family of 3!


Sunday we had a family lunch with my dad's great cooking...straight from the mountains. While the boys watched football and prepared lunch, Mom, Tessa, and I folded and organized baby clothes. My mom got nervous that I was nesting, but I just want Alekzander's world to be a little more organized than mine has been in the past!!


Today we had our 32 week appointment. We got to hear Alekzander's heartbeat -which continues to be amazing. Contrary to many people's opinions, I am measuring right on track (32 cm at 32 weeks). We did also learn that the cute little round bump that is camped out over my belly button/below my rib cage is not Alekzander's little butt... instead its a uterine fibroid - which is apparently relatively normal (and hormone related). I would have preferred to continue to think it was babe's bum, but now that I do know what it is and have had time to process/pray about it, I am comforted by the fact that God obviously wanted me to have THIS baby at THIS time and He is in control - giving us hope and a future. I know my family's future is rich in love.

2 comments:

Kim Stroh said...

You know Ash...I had the boys at 32 weeks! You want him to stay in as long as possible - but can you believe you are actaully that close!!! I am so excited for you guys. You will be amazing parents and Alekzander gets to be brought up in a home of happiness and love!

ashley said...

Thanks Kim! We're content to wait for about 8 more weeks to meet him...but we are very excited about his arrival!