Monday, March 29, 2010

Sweet Red Face

My big boy is ever aware these days... Not a thing ... not a dog ... not a sneeze ... not a creak in the floor (when mommy checks on him ONE last time before she goes to bed) ... passes without his notice.  

Today at the doctor's office for his four month check-up, he had to flirt with the receptionist and watch as she entered in his information.  (I guess since he was so cute and interactive, she remembered his name and his doctor and the fact that we needed to make a 6 month appointment when we showed up at her desk again... an hour after we first arrived.  I'd like to say that Alekzander wooed her with his charm, but I think she's just really good at her job and makes people feel welcome!)

As he laid on the scale in the hallway at the doctor's he noticed the newborn next to him crying... so he decided he should cry (and turn bright red) too.  We just laughed at him because he was fine seconds before that and recovered by the time we got back to our room.  {{Perhaps , though, he is becoming modest about his little parts (no pun intended), because he cried (red faced) again when the doctor took off his (Alekzander's) diaper.}} 

After watching his doctor talk for a while, Alekzander studied the room and looked at the juvenile (but cute) homemade art on the wall.  He also tasted the paper the nurse gave me regarding milestones and feeding as I was reading it to him!  Already, he's so busy and aware!  I love it. 

(The doctor explained that Alekzander's only (main) way of exploring the world is through his mouth... which explains why fingers, paper, toys, clothes, and blankets go straight to his mouth.  Sounds such as *raspberries* and high pitched squeals also tell him about himself (his voice) in the world.  When I asked if babies can learn to fake cough at four months old, the doctor said "Absolutely, its a way of expressing themselves." ... so in addition to a busy, nosy baby, I also have a very noisy one... and I adore him!) 

We had two more red faced encounters before we left... once while he was getting his Roto Virus vaccine (by mouth) and again when he got a  triple immunization shot in his chunky thigh.  Poor guy had a rough visit to the doctor's office this time, but the good news is that he is perfectly healthy (despite a projectile vomit incident yesterday and his newly acquired habit of fake coughing) and is "average" on the growth charts at 50% in height and weight.  Alekzander weighs 14 pounds + 12 ounces and is 25 inches long.  

Average, smaverage.  I think he's perfect... red faced and all. 

Before:: Immediately After:: Ten Seconds After
{{Sweet boy got snuggled as soon as I snapped up his little pant leg ... promise!}}

 

1 comment:

The Batts said...

oh i am so glad he was a tough cookie. liam got 3 shots today and definitely more aware of those shots!