Dear Alekzander,
I will scoop you up.
I will scoop you up the minute I hear the smoke alarm going off in the middle of the night (as soon as I wake up your Daddy, too). I will instinctively grab a pacifier for you before we run downstairs. We will stand nervously on the back porch in the cold, dark night. I will wish I had a hat for you. I am happy that I scooped you up and you are in my arms. (There was no smoke, nor fire. Daddy and I searched and scoped, checked and double-checked things out for a half hour after we put you safely back in your bed. I scooped you up about an hour later when all the commotion registered in your little, developing brain. A little snuggling calmed us both down and allowed us to sleep through the rest of the night.)
I will scoop you up.
I will scoop you up after I race Daddy down the church hallways. You are well cared for while we are at big church, but we miss you. You have fun with your little friends, while we feed our soul with worship and teaching. But I can't wait to scoop you up after not seeing you for over an hour.
I will scoop you up.
I will scoop you up after you try to be too big and take a tumble on to your hard floor. I will kiss your head and distract you with a lion RROOAAARRR and then you will go on playing. When you play, you are so busy, so fast, so funny. I long for you to slow down so that I can scoop you up again.
I will scoop you up.
I will scoop you up when you are nine and your soccer team loses five games in a row and your spirit is crushed. I will remind you of when you were just 11 months old and Mommy and Daddy's soccer team lost six games in a row. It wasn't the end of the world. We were having fun and learning, too. You will learn that winning isn't everything. You may even be able to scoop up your friends and teach them the lessons that we have learned together.
I will scoop you up when you are nine and your soccer team loses five games in a row and your spirit is crushed. I will remind you of when you were just 11 months old and Mommy and Daddy's soccer team lost six games in a row. It wasn't the end of the world. We were having fun and learning, too. You will learn that winning isn't everything. You may even be able to scoop up your friends and teach them the lessons that we have learned together.
I will scoop you up when you are sick, snotty, grumpy, sad, hurt, dirty, happy, crying, winning, losing, small, or big. I love you and will do anything for you, my littlest love.
Love,
Your Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment