Today we had a grand adventure all over Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties. We went, first, to Kannapolis to the Nutrition Research Institute to participate in a UNC-CH research study. The researcher is studying a specific gene that may regulate the amount of fatty acids in breastmilk. These fatty acids are important for brain development and may be related to babies' ability to remember. We each gave saliva samples (Alekzander was much better at this part than I was!) and I brought a breastmilk sample as well. DNA testing will be done on each of the samples to determine our genotype on the gene that has been shown to control fatty acids; from the breastmilk, they will determine the levels of fatty acids present. Simple, un-invasive, and very interesting to me! We should be invited back when Alekzander is 6-months old so that he can participate in the second part of the Feeding Brains study.
After our time as scientists, we met Aunt Tessa Bug (ATB) for lunch at her casa with her gato, Rex, to feed our bellies. ATB loves Alekzander so much! We had a picnic on the floor and spent time staring at Alekzander and Rex.
We headed south once Tessa had to go back to work and picked up Daddy's birthday present (Garmin Forerunner 305). We delivered his present and dropped off some (ATB) birthday cookies to Daddy's work. The women there loved seeing Alekzander's chunky thighs, baby toes, and bright blue eyes. Daddy enjoyed our visit too!
We finally got home from running around, but Alekzander refused to nap! So we laughed and played in bed instead. His new favorite game is eating faces. He grabs your face (or hair) with both of his hands and pulls you toward him with an open mouth. I have been the recipient of many sloppy 'kisses'... I love them and I love my brainy child!!


1 comment:
i DO love LOVE love Alekzander!
<3 ATB
Post a Comment