Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Simple Errands...

Simple errands are not simple anymore. I spent the morning stressing out about how I was going to get my car to Griffin Bros. to get its oil changed. Normally, a 10 minute excursion to drop the car off less than a mile from my house and then a 10-15 minute walk home.

Today though, I had to wait until Alekzander woke up from his first nap, feed him, dress him, bundle him up (although it was nearly 55 and sunny when we finally got out of the door), get him in his carseat, double check to be sure that I could get the jogging stroller out of the car and opened, reload the stroller... and then we were finally on our way. Alekzander HATES the stoplight leaving our neighborhood, and of course it was red when we pulled up to it... so a little fussing and we finally moved again... only to sit at a standstill due to a large funeral procession (going the oppposite way) complete with about 25 Harleys and 4 police cars. Alekzander wasn't too fond of the motionlessness or the noise... we made it to our destination and I got him out of the carseat, carried him inside, and then waited for the guys to: 1) acknowledge me, 2) say something ridiculous (but not inappropriate), 3) find me in the system, 4) send me on my merry way.

My merry way meant laying Alekzander down in the back seat next to his carseat, walking around the back to juggle with the jogger, get Alekzander loaded in and THEN I was off. I tried jogging a little since I had the jogging stroller, but my pants wanted to fall down... I can't fit in most of my clothes still, but my lovely (bleach stained) sweatpants that I chose for this special occasion didn't want to stay up on the walk home! Alekzander fell asleep during our walk, so I extended it by doing a mile loop past the house. He was still asleep when I "wheelied" the stroller into the front door... but when I tried to take off his hat, he woke up... I put him up in his crib hoping that he'd resume his nap, but no luck... Ironically my car's oil was changed by that time and I was notified by the jovial manager at Griffin Bros., "We're kicking you out." So... I changed my pants to an equally attractive pair that tied around the waist, rescued Alekzander from his non-napping crib, loaded him back into the jogger, and headed back to Griffin Bros.

I found my car, parked the stroller in front of it, unloaded Alekzander, walked inside and waited for about 10 minutes while the guys helped other customers. Meanwhile, Alekzander and I are both sweating, because it was now sunny and 60...and I still put him in his winter hat (because he's been tugging on his right ear). Once I paid, I put Alekzander in his carseat, wrangled the jogger to the back of my vehicle, collected my belongings out of the stroller (waterbottle, chapstick, pacifier (for Alekzander - not me), phone, wallet, spare key), and pulled away... to go to the grocery store for 3 items for dinner... another wrestling match ensued between me and the carseat and the shopping cart, but Alekzander just looked at me and smiled.

At least he enjoyed a simple errand that turned in to our grand adventure!

2 comments:

Tessa said...

Ooo! This is a good one. It exhausted me, but I loved it. Are your bleach stained sweatpants the ones I gave you 7 years ago from Target?

ashley said...

Haha, I think the pants are from your Goodwill bag...probably from 7 years ago though.