Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sweet Smell and Sacrifices

Sweet baby boy has a new smell... instead of a fresh, sweet baby, he now smells of hyrdocortisone cream (majorly souped up/prescription strength) to help with a sad case of eczema. Surprisingly, it isn't a bad smell at all, though after 4 applications a day, I'm sure I'll tire of its new sweetness. For about a week, Alekzander has had a little rash of pimples that appears across his left cheek, ear, neck and shoulders. More of an aesthetic annoyance to me than anything else at this point... It breaks my heart that his perfectly smooth skin isn't quite perfect right now, but I'm a girl, and I worry about things like that... boys are "rough and tumble" and I will have to get used to that quickly! We originally thought it may have been an allergic reaction to something, but the doctor saw it last Monday and guessed it might be a flare up of eczema. Since it didn't go away on its own, a call to the doctor resulted in two prescriptions for hydrocortisone cream and lotion to treat eczema. Though we saved $25 co-pay to the doctor, the magic lotions cost $66 after insurance was applied. Quite expensive for cream (I won't even pay $10 for a face moisturizer for myself), but I quickly realized that this is just the first of many times that we will spend a little extra money to make our son happy and/or comfortable. And a small monetary sacrifice is just the beginning of the great lengths we'd travel for the good of Alekzander.


So for now, we slather and rub while he chills shirtless with his cool "sleep pants" like his Da.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks like a bronco linebacker to me. love ya littlebuddy grandpa s.